First in Category-Young Adult Fantasy

First in Category-Young Adult Fantasy
Dante Rossetti Award

Monday, April 11, 2011

Gender roles

Our female protagonist - gender roles?
How do we view our female character/ are we gender specific?

My family rolemodels were of the more “vintage” type as well–traditional stay at home Mom, trying to instill in me the qualities of a “lady”; strong and steady Dad, who always took the time to really listen. I adored him. These memories have found there way into my YA Epic Fantasy novel as well; however my teenage protagonist, though conditioned to fulfill her role as a “lady” is forced by events to physically fight a fierce enemy. Because she is defending those she loves, she draws on her experiences in mindlink with predators of the forest…she is then able to move past the fear and find the courage to do what she must.

As J.R,R. Tolkien illustrated so well in the LOR, courage is the going on when hope seems gone. So perhaps I see my women characters as frequently possessing this kind of strength; it may be concealed or dormant, depending on the cultural milieu we've created, until called upon in time of need.
Posted by Sandy H at 10:08 AM

No comments :

Post a Comment